November 15, 2010

Ofra Haza - Kaddish

Ofra Haza has probably the most flawless voice I've ever heard. I remember watching The Prince of Egypt when I was eight or nine, and Moses' mother's voice just killed me. I saw that movie again recently; through some not-so-exhausting googling I discovered that Ofra Haza had voiced Yocheved. Wikipedia told me that Ofra had dedicated her fame to forging relations between Israelis and her Arab neighbors before she died far too soon of AIDS in 1990.


In this video, she is singing Kaddish: the Jewish prayer of mourning, often for the dead. In Elie Wiesel's devestating account of Auschwitz and Buchenwald, he describes a rabbi leading prisoners in a wailing recitation of Kaddish; later, they stop saying it or even remembering it.


The highest ranked comment on the YouTube video?


Ofra God bless you, have mercy on him and admits you to the committee!!You are my sister in humanity and in the consolidation of Allaah!

رحمك الله يا عفراء رحمة واسعة وأدخلك في جنته !!

أنت أختي في الإنسانية وفي توحيد الله !!


A Muslim praising Ofra's work to unite the Middle East twenty years after her death.


I taste hope.



No comments:

Post a Comment