October 16, 2010

Festen

Hello my lovelies, I regret to inform you that the film I am sharing with you, Festen, is one that reduces me to tears. (Once during my freshmen film class. Oh, the judging that ensued.) If you are like me, and prone to very, erm, passionate, emotions, you might want to avoid watching this film.

Festen (translated as The Celebration) is a Danish film by Thomas Vinterberg in 1998 as part of the Dogme 95 movement. For those of my devoted readers who are unfamiliar with Dogme 95, it was a set of rules created as a sort of game for filmmakers, the result of which caused the films to be very raw in appearance. Transitions between scenes are very abrupt because of the absence of sound-bridges, and the dialog is frequently hard to understand, because all sound is recorded simultaneous to the video. I love it.

The Celebration (as I am going to now refer to it for my English-speaking audience), is about a family gathering to celebrate their father, Helge's, sixtieth birthday. In the course of their celebration, family secrets are exposed, including why exactly Christian, the eldest son, hates his father, and why Christian's twin sister Linda committed suicide. Michael's unfaithfulness to his wife, the elder's racism towards Gbatokai, middle-sister Helene's new American, and black, boyfriend are made painfully apparent, and the resulting film is equal parts funny and utterly heart-crushing.

Before you watch The Celebration, there are a few things that you should know.
Firstly, the film is allegorical. Helge and Michael are a
representation of Denmark's corrupted, patriarchal government, while Helge's wife, Else, and Helene are symbolic of women's apathy in Denmark's government.

Second, racism is illegal in Denmark. Gbatokai and the way he is received by the general family, goes to show that, while racism may be illegal, it does not lessen its frequency and intensity.

Thirdly, the percentage of children who are sexually abused in Denmark is the same as in the United States, roughly 25%. Because of its blatantly honest themes regarding abuse, The Celebration was actually banned for many years.

I will be honest, this film, while it never shows any graphic flashbacks (Dogme films always being set in the present, and with a strictly chronological time-line), it does bring up a lot of heavy and incredibly sad material.
It is definitely intense, and really not a movie to watch "just for fun." But it is still one of my favorites. The characters are ugly and raw and honest and beautiful. All at once, Vinterberg throws real life and allegory at you, creating a picture that is both chaotic and painfully clear. There is no way that anybody could watch this film and not have a reaction. Whether it hurts you, disgusts you, you love it, you hate it, you only like it as a friend, you think it is obnoxious, loud, gorgeous, or just sad, there is no way you can feel indifferent towards it. Let me know if you agree.



I'll leave. I should have done it much earlier. I know I will fill your life with darkness, Christian. I tried to call you... But I know you're busy. I don't want you to feel sad. I think it's light and beautiful on the other side. I'm looking forward to it. Although I'm a bit scared too. I'm scared to go without you. I'll love you eternally.
-Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment