October 22, 2010

I Bring You Tidings Of Great Lateness

I so forgot today was my day, I hope you forgive me in my tardiness? My creative mind has been turned to mush recently by the absence of a lot of awesome in my life. Although I did head to my city's museum and an open mic the other day. Long Beach has an amazing art scene which I really feel doesn't get enough credit. The talent here is underrated by the LA hipsters and UCLA artist savants. Our culture is underground and amazing if you know where to look. There is much to be discovered and if you're ever my way, ring me up and I will show you exactly where to go.
I think the same can be said for most small towns. Most people refuse to find the awesome communities in small town because the population isn't of the "superior caliber" of a big city. Which is a huge shame. People don't see what they're missing out on in efforts to fit in with the masses. Undoubtedly I could if I wanted, yet my heart lies with the eclectic and eccentric. I live for the queer and obscure. I am amazed by what is unconventional and borderline peculiar, hence the photo from my last post. I was at a music and art showcase a couple of months ago where my kind kind of people were abundant. And I felt so at home I never wanted to leave. There was a band from little ole Lincoln, Nebraska called Once A Pawn, which if you haven't heard of them, get on it. I dig their style and talked with them and got my CD's signed. I kind of acted like a little kid excited about Christmas. Somehow or another we were conversing about music and they mentioned a band called Lost In The Trees, another band I'm a huge fan of.
As far as I know, they are still pretty unknown; totally my favorite kinds of bands. They hail from Chapel Hill and definitely have a unique take on the growing genre of symphonic rock. They are my kind of peculiar, experimental music. I can't say enough good things, so I'll stop right here. Check them out, enjoy them. I'll be back here next week, on time, scout's honor

1 comment:

  1. I live in Raleigh, NC and get to see them play fairly often. Personally, I think their record misses the mark but the live show is amazing. I think they are growing and haven;t learned to capture the magic of their collaboration yet.

    ReplyDelete