October 30, 2010

Phobos and Deimos

It's the most wonderful time of the year. The leaves are gorgeous, the weather is just cold enough, and it smells SO DAMN GOOD. Somebody should make an air freshener or a body spray that smells like leaves and campfires. Or a detergent, then your clothes would smell amazing. All the time. And, as Strongbad would say, the ladies would be all up on. But I am not here (Yes, here, in your living room. Turn around.) to tell you about things that smell good, even though I could go on for many ages of man about things that smell good. I am here to tell you about how much I adore Halloween.

I really love Halloween, and while a lot of it has to do with pumpkins and obscure religious holidays, a good bit of it has to do with how much fun it is to be scared. I don't mean a man in a mask jumping out from behind a corner, I mean edge of your seat blood-chilling horror. In celebration of fear and terror, I offer you a list of truly frightening movies for you to enjoy this wonderful holiday season. And for the rest of the year too. Let the fear and panic never end!

Here they are, in no particular order:

1. A Nightmare On Elm Street - Perfect for the paranoid insomniac in all of us.

2. Silent Hill - ...::shudder::

3. Rear Window - Yes, your neighbors are watching you.

4. Psycho - Who needs showers anyway, right?

5. Repo! The Genetic Opera - Who knew plastic surgery could be so horrifying? Oh, wait.

6. The Birds - Everyone is a little ornithihobic really.

7. Hellraiser - Okay, maybe it is just gross. But still.

8. Pan's Labyrinth - That eyeball m
onster with the shoes gives any sane person nightmares.

9. Titanic - Oh, come on, I cannot be the only one who thinks it is scary.



Before I leave you to watch, and be horrified by these movies, I want to share with you my (mis)adventure for the evening, my internet darlings. My night was spent at the Brooke Hill haunted house, just across the boarder of West Virgina. Before I go on, I must tell you that I have a thing about being touched. Namely, I don't like it. And by don't like, I mean loathe. And by that, I mean that I get incredibly upset and tend to freak out when somebody I do not know/trust makes physical contact with me. That being said, let me tell you that, while in most states it is illegal for the staff in places such as haunted houses to touch you, in WV, it is legal, and, I suspect, encouraged. I did not know this. I had been in the house for perhaps ten minutes when a couple of ghouls decided that it would be a good idea to grab me. And let me add that they were none too gentle. I politely asked them to let go of me, explaining that I did not particularly like being touched. They refused to let go, and mocked me. I asked again. They started to pull at my clothing. I told them that I might hurt them if they did not let go. They started pushing me. I struggled. They informed me that I was "out of there!" To which I responded "Then LET GO OF ME." I was shoved towards and exit while people shouted something about a girl with violent tendencies.

After I got over the whole being touched thing, I laughed.

2 comments:

  1. Actually it was the face smashing bottle that got me in Pan's Labyrinth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh yeah, that is pretty bad too. Something about the child violence of the White Man just... gets me though.

    ReplyDelete